Sunday, December 11, 2011

A new beginning

2010 was a great year for me from a health a fitness level. I did my first half marathon, my second half marathon, my first olympic triathlon, my second olympic triathlon, my first half iron, and my first marathon. Unfortunately, I hurt my knee before the marathon, but I did it anyway which caused me to struggle with knee pain for months. I was also a bit burned out I think after all of that. I went from a couch potato to a half ironman and marathon finisher in 18 months. It was a bit extreme.

2011 was not a great year from a health and fitness level. I had the knee injury for months, and then just when I started back on track with St. Anthony's triathlon, I sprained my ankle. Then, just when it was getting better, I sprained it again. Then, I had kidney issues. So while those were challenges I faces, I failed the test because I let myself use them as excuses. I could have done a lot of things when my knee was hurt to work on core, my upper body, and I certainly could have eaten well. I just went 180 degrees and started eating crap and drive throughs and my favorite mexican place with margaritas. I was struggling with a lot of personal issues with work, family, and friends combined, and I think I totally used all of that as an outlet that I shouldn't have.

I am so very mad at myself for letting myself go back into such unhealthy habits and for setting a bad example for the kids. I am so sad that I went for a 3.7 mile jolk (jogging and walking intervals) yesterday and I am SO SORE. Wow. That is so sad and pitiful.

But, I have been inspired again and I am going to do my best to get healthy again. This time, I am going to try to learn how to sustain it. I need to learn how to fit healthy eating into my lift AND i need to learn how to deal with injuries as I am sure I will have more.

So, tomorrow, 12/12, I am going to do a 2 week experiment where I am not going to have any processed foods or diet coke. I hope my family, friends, and coworkers are ready for me :) I think I have gotten SO used to convenience foods that I don't even know what real food is anymore.  I also want to set a good example for the kids and teach them how to not struggle like I have.

So, here's to a new beginning. I pray I have the strength to change.

No comments: