Tuesday, April 27, 2010

St. Anthony's Triathlon




I stretched before I got up. It was painful to walk on, but not too bad. I took 2 advil. I put it on ice for a few mins, and then we left. This was about 5:15. We walked the half mile or so to transition from the parking and got the stuff put away. I kept my shoes on for the almost mile walk to the start. It was hurting and I was really getting nervous. Then, we went into the water, and it felt really good. Hmmm....maybe that will help I thought. So, then we walk on the sand. DOH...the sand got ALL in the tape on the bottom of my foot and the tape started coming off. Lovely. Then, they stopped the race and changed the swim course to make it 1k instead of 1.5k as it was REALLY rough. So, we waited for an extra thirty minutes. I went in the water again and relaxed. Sand all over again. Lovely.

We started at 9:33. The swim was rough, took in lots of water, but I enjoyed it and didn't feel like it was too awful from an effort perspective. I did the 1k in 18:11. I had put some shoes between the swim exit and the transition so that I wouldn't go barefoot. They weren't there. :( Bummer.

I got all muddy in transition because I tried to get the sand out of the tape by pouring water on my foot. FUN. I was way too slow on the transition, but I figured it was important to not have sand under my food in my shoe.

On the bike, i did well until mile 18.It was great to see Monica, Brian, Heather, Amy, and Mike as I was on some of the roads that did a turnaround. It was VERY windy for the majority of the ride. WOW. My foot started killing me. Lovely. I wasn't really anticipating that it would hurt on the bike. I started taking my right foot off every minute or two and pedaling wiht my left foot while I stretched out the right one. At this point, I was REALLY nervous about the run.

I was really happy to finish the bike. The wind was brutal. Then came the real test. I almost fell getting my foot over my bike. :) HEE HEE...i jogged to the transition area and it was hurting on my foot. But, the amazing thing was that it stopped hurting COMPLETELY as I started the run. For two comlete miles, I had NO pain (well in my foot....my LEGS on the other hand were killing me). At the two mile mark, it started to ache but wasn't painful. Around the 3.2 mark, it started to hurt. I kept trying to play with my stride to make it hurt less. Around mile 4, Around this time I had seen Monica, Brian, Stacey, Amy, and Heather. It helped so much to see them! it stopped hurting again for a bit, but then BAM just before mile 5, it was sooooooo painful. My body was also pretty mad at me by then. It was HOT. My heart rate was up. I was geting a sunburn, and my legs hurt. I started limping, and I decided that I should try to walk. So, I tried to do 2 minutes or so and then walk, then 2 mins, then walk. I think I walked 4 times in last mile. But, I DID It!!!!!

The weird thing is that it actually feels better today than it did. I thought it would be worse. It is still tender, but much better than even on Saturday.

I had fun, but let me tell you, it was hard. :) Abhijeet and Morgan took pictures. Here are some

No comments: