Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bike and Run

Today, Mike, Stacey, Eric, Nicole, and I rode Flatwoods today for 32 miles!!!!!!! WOO HOO! That is the second time I have ridden over 30 miles in my whole life! After, I ran 2.5 miles. It was hot and hard, but it also felt good.

This was my first time riding with the clipless pedals. I got the speedplay ones after MUCH debate. I couldn't decide whether to get Look or Speedplay. Holly and Jen are VERY passionate about the Speedplay ones, so I ended up getting them on their recommendation. The Ironman store man, Hunter and David, recommended the Look ones because they said that there is a wider area under your foot. Holly said that the speedplay ones are better on the hills and keep your knees from hurting. Since I ride with Holly and Jen and they are my coaches, I decided to take their word for it.

Then, came the next thing - SHOES. Man, this biking stuff is complicated. Ok, two types of shoes. So, I got the triathlon variety because I do triathlons. :) That means that the strap opens away from the bike so they are easier to take on and off with the bike, especially if you ever become super duper cool and leave the shoes on the pedals and climb in. I ended up getting Sidi shoes which were double what I wanted to spend. However, they are super comfortable and everyone says that they last forever (the Ironman store guys said if there is a nuclear war that cockroaches and Sidi bike shoes will be the only thing standing). I did have some debate about whether the pink matched my bike as it is teal and black, but I finally decided that I didn't care. They are comfortable and cute.

When we got to flatwoods, I was really nervous. However, I actually had ZERO problems getting in them. I was shocked. They went right on. I did have a little panic attack the first time I unclipped, but I stayed calm and they came off easily.

On the ride, my legs felt SO much better. My right leg adductor muscle has been annoying me on the bike since last October. I never felt it today. Loved it! Also, we rode 32 miles (last week 25), and my legs didn't feel like I had been on a horse for hours. It was great. I ran 2.5 after. My plan is to add a half a mile to my brick run each week. I am hoping that it will allow me to get used to it slowly - especially with the heat. I will keep my longer run on the week though (although I am at 6 miles now which is heaven for a long run) :)

Great day! According to the weight watchers activity thing, it says I earned 19 activity points. I only get 21 in a day, so that is a LOT!

No comments: