Sunday, May 17, 2009

Back in the Groove

I have finally gotten myself motivated to get back into shape. I was doing so well with the couch 2 5k program until I got sick and then had kidney stone surgery. The kidney stone ordeal went on for quite a while, and then I just flat out wasn't motivated. I can use lots of excuses such as my company being purchased twice in one year, never being at home because of travel and kids activities, eating out a lot due to work and travel, etc. However, the real truth is that I just didn't focus on it and I took the easy way out.

SO, now I am massively paying for it. I actually finally found motivation after watching the Biggest Loser episode where they ran a marathon. I was completely amazed. In 17 weeks, they went from barely being able to do any exercise to 2 of them running a marathon, 1 walking it in a pretty good pace (couldn't run due to an injury), and one who was the least fit and the sickest walking it even though he had major difficulty with blood pressure, knee injuries, etc. I literally cried when they went across the finish line. What an inspiring thing to do! I finally said, "Ok, if they can do it, then I can do it." I set out determining what path I wanted to take. I believe strongly that the Biggest Loser has success because it uses exercise as the main component and then works on food choices as a secondary. So, I found the Sport and Field gym here which has a Weight Loss plan. It basically is either 8, 16, or 24 personal training sessions and meetings with a dietitian who develops a personal food plan for you. You get measured weekly or every other week depending on preference. The only downfall for me with this plan is that there is no lap pool, and I love to swim. However, I have a community pool that I will just have to try to use instead.

My brother also decided to do it with me, so that has been awesome. I went to my first training session with Biko (he is the BOMB!) today. I was a little nervous, and I was pretty unsure of what I would be able to do. In the week before this, I started using the elliptical machine at my house for 4 minutes in the morning and then 4 minutes at night. Then, I increased it to 5 min, then 6 min, and then I found I could do 10 min! However, doing the elliptical is putting my heart rate very quickly to the max heart rate, and it is pretty difficult for me to take it back down. So, I was a little nervous. From the only 3 training sessions I have ever had (they were the free ones at a gym and I don't think those are really like "real" training sessions).

Biko had me hold a 1kg ball and run up and down the stairs twice. At the end of each stair run, I would jump up in the air with the 1kg ball and touch the wall 15 times. Then, I rested. Then, I did it twice again but I only jumped to the wall 10 times. Then, I rested. Lastly, I went up the stairs twice again with 10 jumps after each. WHEW. I felt my legs BURNING but it felt so GOOD.

Biko then took me through a combination of the different weight machines. Some leg machines and but mainly arms. Then, he had me lie down on the mat and do crunches where I had to get the ball from his hands and put it back into his hands 15 times. Then, I had to hold the big ball between my ankles and lift it in the air and down 20 times. I had to do it in 2 sets of 10 because my back was killing me. He had me put my hands under my hips. That helped. I was SO proud of myself when I was done. WOO HOO! I am to work on cardio on the off days by doing 2 minutes at my low end of my heart rate range (110) and then doing 2 minutes at the top of my range (172) and then 2 minutes low and 2 minutes high, etc.

I also started watching my calories and trying to stay below 1600. I am not really doing anything specific until I meet with the dietitian on Thursday. I am trying to get more fruits and veggies in though.

No comments: